Technology is a great tool and it usually helps you conduct online financial transactions securely, say for example tasks like Airtel online bill payment. Most of us have heard about encryption and hard-to-read formats. This is to make your personal and private information out of bounds of being hacked or breached. But the truth is, with all this developments in safer technology, at the other end of the spectrum there are equally intelligent and smarter techniques being invented to intercept and hack your personal data.
Some important tips for safer transactions online are:-
- Using a credit card for Airtel online bill payment is a better idea than using a debit card or Netbanking because the credit card is not directly linked to your bank account.
- Using payment services of third parties like digital wallets is much safer than any other online payment methods. Most online retailers like Paytm, MobiKwik and PhonePe have their e-wallets that registered users can use while using their site or App for making online payments. You can use the Paytm App, MobiKwik App or PhonePe for making Airtel online bill payments and utilize their respective e-wallets to pay for the service used.
- Passwords need to be fortress like strong – should be the unbreakable types. They should never be written down or stored on a computer or mobile device.
- It is a good practise to log out of websites and Apps and not simply closing the window. Even if you use your smartphone for such transactions, make sure to logout each time.
- When downloading Apps ensure that you spent some time in reading through the permissions’ list so that you are sure what all features of your phone the app is going to make use of. Be suspicious of permissions that seem to be asking for private and confidential information.
While making online monetary transactions using websites, it is necessary to make sure of few essential things like –
- Make sure that the website is using the highest level of SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certification. The presence of the certificate is an assurance of the authenticity of the site. It also is a proof that the site encrypts or scrambles data before sending it to the server.
- That the site is PCI-DSS compliant (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards). The PCI is an international organisation that is responsible for making compliance rules for the payment card industry. These rules pertain to using secure infrastructure, restricted access to cardholder information, ensure encryption of data and use of healthy firewalls that will help fight off security threats.
- Whether the payment site uses two-factor authentication or not while accepting Airtel online bill payments. This is an additional security layer – even the Reserve Bank of India has made it mandatory for banks to use this authentication to approve transfers and payments. Most banks today send an OTP (One Time Password) to your registered number that needs to be entered by the user at the banking site to approve the payment.