Breast cancer is a collection of cancer cells which arise from the cells of breast tissues. It most commonly affects women and very rarely men. With the advancement in medical treatments and screening, the survival rate of patients has increased dramatically in the last few years. Nowadays one can book surgery packages online as per their convenience. All the details regarding hospitals, doctors and treatment costs are available online. Various packages can be compared and selected accordingly.
In today’s scenario wherein breast cancer has become the most commonly hit cancer amongst women, it is very important to create awareness about the symptoms of breast cancer. It will help detect it at an early stage and reduce the risk factor.
- Its symptoms include a lump in the breast or armpits with visible changes in the skin around the breast and nipples.
- Breast pain or tender nipples
- Nipple discharge
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
It is recommended that every woman must do a self-examination of the breasts once a month to detect any lumps or thickening in the breasts. All lumps are not cancerous so once it is detected by self-examination further tests like mammography, ultrasound and biopsy can be conducted to determine whether the lump is cancerous or not.
Risk factors involved:
- Genetic risk factor.
- Lifestyle factors such as excessive alcohol intake.
- First childbirth after the age of 30 years.
Types of breast cancer:
- Ductal Carcinoma – Its the most common type of breast cancer which affects the milk duct of the breasts. It is a noninvasive type of breast cancer and has a high survival rate as it does not spread.
- Invasive ductal carcinoma – In this type, the cancer cells spread and grow into the nearby tissue.
- Inflammatory breast cancer – The cancer cells block the lymph vessels and it causes swelling and inflammation in the breasts. It is considered to be a rare type of breast cancer.
- Triple-negative breast cancer – It mostly affects younger women. In this type, the cells lack receptors for estrogen, progesterone and specific HER2 proteins.
- Paget’s disease of the breast – It begins in the ducts of the breasts and spreads to the nipple and its surrounding tissues which causes redness and swelling in the nipples.
- Lobular Carcinoma – It begins in the lobules of the breasts. It is difficult to diagnose with a mammogram.
Surgery for breast cancer: The treatments for breast cancer, depending upon its stage, are surgery, hormone therapy, radiotherapy and chemotherapy. There are different types of surgeries for breast cancer which are performed depending upon the stages of cancer. The different types of surgeries are:
- Mastectomy: The entire breast along with the nearby tissue is removed in this type of surgery. If the surgeon removes the entire chest wall along with the breast tissue then it is termed as radical mastectomy.
- Modified radical mastectomy: In this type of surgery the axillary lymph nodes along with the breast tissue is removed.
- Lumpectomy: In this surgery, the surgeon removes only the breast lump and a layer of healthy tissue surrounding the breast lump is removed. It is also known as breast-conserving surgery.
- Preventive Surgery: This surgery is recommended for patients who have a very high risk of developing breast cancer. In such cases, the patient may opt for a surgery to remove the breasts as a preventive measure.
- Reconstruction: Breast reconstruction is performed post mastectomy wherein the surgeon gives a new shape to the breasts of the patient.